Tuesday, November 11, 2008

:: Brick - ben folds five

decided today to find out wat this song was really about cos i've always wondered. it's apparently about ben folds and his then partner getting an abortion. and now i'm listening to it and understanding the words, it's strangely chilling.

(i still want dylan's babies.)

i'll always remember that mummy once told me tt every song has a story. this was years and years ago, like in pri sch and i don't even remember what we were talking bout. i think i'd just asked her what a particular song was about. anyway, tt comment always stuck hard and fast and after tt, i couldn't stop listening to songs just for their stories. it made a lot of difference once i knew what a song was about. brought listening to music to a whole new level.

sometimes i think bout the things i remember from my childhood: the time my K2 teacher ling-laoshi shared her jacket with me - she used one arm and i used the other and it was so funny to my 6 yr old self. it's still funny now actually. i duno wat the hell we were doing but i'll always remember it. the time a kindergarten classmate told me tt "you're welcome" in chinese was bie ke qi. the first day of pri sch when i was so nervous i puked all over the sch stairs even before class started. and mummy came running back cos she had just said goodbye and she said an older girl was gonna help me but she saw mummy coming so she went bout her own thing. and tt really touched me- tt she wanted to help. when i was 6 and we were taking 228 to the interchange and i got my favourite seat (the single seat right in front tt only the old old buses used to have. and then an old lady came up carrying groceries and asked me in chinese if she could have the seat cos she was tired and she was really grateful when i gave up my seat. i didn't think bout how it mattered but when i went to sit with mummy, she praised me for being a good girl. i was really confused, having little conception of how small or simple gestures fit into the bigger world. i just gave her the seat cos she asked, simple as tt; why these adults so strange, like tt also must make a big deal. but anyway, it kind of put the world into perspective for me- if i could make pple happy just by being obliging like tt, tt'd be pretty cool.

sometimes i think bout the things i remember from my childhood and i remember the things pple did or said tt always stuck with me. and, just out of pure curiosity, i wonder how many pple will be thinking of me in the same way.

No comments: